Musings on The Muse by Julian Shah-Tayler

Welcome to the sporadic and not entirely well considered spewing forth from my pen. Love to you!

Friday, January 8, 2010

San Gabriel Valley Press review

Julian Shah-Tayler honors a muse with EP
By Michelle J. Mills Staff Writer
Posted: 12/31/2009 04:03:23 PM PST

Los Angeles musician Julian Shah-Tayler recently took a break from working on his next album to create a tribute to his friend, Christine Shroy-Hull.
"We used to talk about things and I used to write songs that she would encourage," said Shah-Tayler, who often performs locally at the Old Town Pub in Pasadena. "I would play her the songs and she would give feedback."
When Shroy-Hull, who lived in Pennsylvania, died of a heroin overdose in September, her family wrote to Shah-Tayler asking him to release a song he had written for her. He finessed the composition and then decided to release the six-track EP, "Un Ange Passe" (Impossible Things Records), in her honor today. The effort features other tunes Shroy-Hull inspired or enjoyed, as well as a photo of her on its cover.
Shah-Tayler has produced for and performed with artists such as Siobhan Fahley (Bananarama), Courtney Love, Joaquin Phoenix, Whitey, drinkme, Bunny, Piel and more. His music has been heard on "The Sopranos" and on the Discovery Channel. He also played on the soundtracks of "Penelope," featuring Christina Ricci, and "The Golden Age," with Cate Blanchett.
Shah-Tayler has a wide-reaching repertoire, which includes singer/songwriter selections to danceable songs invoking a London new-wave feel.
"My music is influenced by all different areas of music today," Shah-Tayler said. "I'm classically trained, so that's constantly in the back of my head, but I also

[Wetter]

have an avant garde approach to what I want to do with melody and what I want to do with chords. I really want to make something that's not comfortable to begin with."
Shah-Tayler grew up in England. His mother originally wanted to be an opera singer, but set her dream aside to care for him. His grandmother was a music teacher, who taught Shah-Tayler piano and encouraged him to learn the trumpet. He also sang in school choir and was singing professionally by age 7.
He continued his music studies in school, learning violin, viola, piano and church organ, while teaching himself guitar, flute and other instruments. But at the university, Shah-Tayler majored in philosophy.
"I found the study of music, particularly classical music, a little bit wrong for the magic," Shah-Tayler said. "When you're writing your own stuff, it's best not to have a series of rules nagging at the back of your head: I can't transition to that chord or I can't put that there. There are a lot of rules in classical music that you just have to abandon to be a writer in rock music today."
He is a prolific writer, penning 70-80 songs per year, all inspired by the people around him.
"I write so much that there's not really a process," he said. "I've had a complete song come to me in my dreams and I've also sat down and thought of a bass line and then built something meticulously from the bass line or I've just heard a beat that I really want to merge something on to."
Shah-Tayler is collaborating with electronica artist Jason Air and is a member of the local band Adamandevil. He also deejays at clubs across the nation, including the Key Club in Los Angeles, and runs the acoustic club, Standard Tunings, at the Standard Hotel in Los Angeles with Scott Fairbrother. His next full-length effort, "Coito Ergo Sum," is scheduled for release in spring.
"All I want is people to enjoy the music," he said. "I don't expect to become a millionaire."
People can order a physical copy of "Un Ange Passe" directly from his Web site. For more information, visit www.myspace.com/juliandrin
kme.
michelle.mills@sgvn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment