Musings on The Muse by Julian Shah-Tayler

Welcome to the sporadic and not entirely well considered spewing forth from my pen. Love to you!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Joaquin Phoenix cover and the interview

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b163337_inside_joaquin_phoenixs_brilliant.html

So I did the interview with E! at my house to talk about working with Joaquin (Phoenix) and Antony (Langdon).
My immediate reaction was to be a little worried that it might be an attempted tabloid hatchet job, because of all the negative press that Mister Phoenix has been getting for his rap foray.
I relistened to the old album, and discovered that I do genuinely really like it, and have a deal of affection for the songs. I thought to express this heartfelt feeling in the interview. I may have overstated this in retrospect, and the quotes from me are hilariously overamped with too many superlatives flying around. I remember being asked if I thought Joaquin was a genius, and in reply I said that he was "very talented" This, of course has been misquoted.
Anyhow, as to the cover... I debated as to whether it was respectful of the writers to do a version of a song that I played on that has as yet not been released.
I have been asked hundreds of times by people who are interested in the project, what style it was in and why it was not released. Short of passing out copies of the record (as I have it in my possession) which of course is completely out of the question, I thought to at least indicate the direction of the songs, and the quality of the writing, if not also Joaquin's prodigious production skills, being served merely by my own abilities in this area.
I hope Joaq and Antony will forgive me my indiscretion, and enjoy the tribute as it was intended, which is with Love and respect!

Julian x x

1 comment:

  1. Julian,
    It's no secret that 'Mister Phoenix' is a genius xx

    ReplyDelete